The Romanian name of “Moşna” comes from the Saxon name “Mäschn” (sparrow). Legends say that when they got to these lands, the Saxon colonists could not decide exactly where to build their church. They set a sparrow free and built the new church where the sparrow halted. Thus, the settlement formed around the church was given the name of Mäschn.
The first church ever built here was attested in the 13th century; two centuries later it was fortified and turned into a beautiful fortified church.
The 18th century brought many progresses to the life of the people from Moşna, especially in the architectural field. People built many stone-made houses, many of them having lasted until today. In fact, this old, well preserved architecture is what made Moşna famous; in 1998 Prince Charles of Wales himself visited the village.
Since 2006, Moşna is included in the Sibiu Regional Ecomuseum, a new “living” museum concept which wishes to promote the cultural heritage of these settlements. At Moşna, the Ecomuseum circuit includes:
- The Old Mill: a traditional mill with rocks purchased from France;
- The house at no. 215 - an atypical house from 1895 with the shed to the street and the living spaces behind, at the foot of the hill;
- The house at no. 206: a house dating from 1724 with a small ecologic farm.
Did you know...?
Moşna has 4 more neighbourhoods ? neighbourhoods are specific to saxon villages and they have remained until today forms of organization which included the inhabitants of a street or district who needed help.
Moşna is renowned for its cabbage harvest? Each year on the first sunday in october the people of Moşna organize“The Cabage Festival”.