+4 0269 572 172
Mobile phone no.:
+4 0766 755 909
When they had their orthodox church turned into a Greek-catholic church, the inhabitants from Gura Râului worshiped in an improvised chapel. They managed to build a new, bigger church in 1799 but it only lasted one century.
However, in 1887 the people of Gura Râului built a much more imposing church. Today, its steeple may be seen from far on the surrounding heights. The church is a mixture of byzantine and baroque elements and its steeple with gothic elements was erected by the Saxon masons after the model of their Transylvanian churches.
On Sundays and holidays, the locals go to church in traditional costumes and they respect the order of seats as inherited from ancient times.
Did you know...?
Legend has it that during the First World War the locals buried the three church bells in the ground. Thus, the bells were protected from the Austrian army who wantedto take them and melt them into bullets.