Mobile phone no.:
+40 745 257 524
The first document mentioning Dumbrăveni dates from 1332. In 1553 the prince Grigore Apaffy bought all the domains from Dumbrăveni and built himself a fortress castle with big stone walls. Recently, this castle was turned into a museum dedicated to the Armenians from Transylvania.
But why Armenians and especially why at Dumbrăveni?
The first colonised Armenians arrived here in 1671. Diligent householders and skilled merchants, they received several privileges from prince Apaffy. In the 18th century they received the town of Dumbrăveni in administration. Those were days of great development for the town; they built schools, a court house, a prison and, of course, an Armenian cathedral.
Impressive baroque monument built of stone and bricks, the church draws attention due to its unusual aspect: it misses the dome on one of the towers. In 1927 a terrible storm destroyed the dome on the right tower.
Not so long ago in the church they discovered the heart of a local priest - Avedik Likacs that had been mummified a century ago. In 1896 this priest had edited the first monograph of Dumbrăveni written in Hungarian.
Did you know...?
In the former prison from Dumbrăveni they held Ana Pauker for a while.
Coordonate GPS: 46.22 N, 24.57 E