+4 0269 856 110
Mobile phone no.:
+4 0748 547 143
In the 16th century Sibiu and Mediaş were two important burgs in the south of Transylvania and the road connecting them was constantly under threat from enemy attacks.
Thus, in mid-16th century, in several stages, they erected the Slimnic fortress on the road from Sibiu to Mediaş. This was a simple military architecture complex with some defence towers. Inside, the fortress also hosted a small gothic chapel, the only one which can still be admired today; the planned hall church was never finished due to the countless attacks on the fortress. For instance, the sieges from 1529 and 1706 proved to be devastating for the fortress. The church was built in the second half of the 14th century and its patron was St. Bartholomew. Around the year 1500 the wooden ceiling of the church is replaced with a gothic vault.
The fortress is placed on a hill above Slimnic and its high, reddish ruins (because of the brick) are noticeable from afar.
Did you know...?
The German name of Slimnic is “Stolzenburg”, meaning “The proud fortress”.
Coordonate GPS: 45.91 N, 24.15 E