The county of Sibiu lies in the centre of Romania, in south-eastern Transylvania, at the foothills of the Carpathians. To the south, the county is bordered by two mountains separated by the Olt valley: Făgăraş on one side, whose peaks often exceed 2500 m and Lotru and Cindrel on the other side, with altitudes of a little over 2200 m. To the north of the county, the relief loses altitude and becomes dominated by gentle hills and wooded heights. The region of Sibiu has a temperate continental climate with warm, sunny summers and cold winters.
The county of Sibiu has approximately 423 000 inhabitants. The most populated city is Sibiu (county capital) followed by Mediaş, Agnita, Avrig, Cisnădie, Copşa Mică, Dumbrăveni, Miercurea Sibiului and Tălmaciu.
The population is mostly made up of Romanians (90%), Hungarians (3,7%), Roma (4,2%) and Saxons (1,6%). 89% of the population are orthodox while 2,5% are protestant, 2,3% Greek catholic and 1,5% catholic.
Sibiu in numbers
- 5.432 km2 - surface of the county of Sibiu (2,3% of the total country surface)
- -34,4 grade C - lowest temperature recorded in the county in 1888
- +39,5 grade C - highest temperature recorded in 1946
- 12 grade C - average annual temperature
- 420 m - average altitude of the county of Sibiu
- 155.000 inhabitants in the city of Sibiu, of which approximately 25.000 are university students
Sibiu Post Office
Post offices are open from Monday to Saturday and they provide local as well as external services.
Central post office: Str. Mitropoliei, nr. 14
Tel.: +4 0269 232 222
The Sibiu County Hospital
Address: B-dul Corneliu Copusu, nr. 2-4
Tel.: +4 0269 215 050
The Sibiu Public Local Police Service
Address: B-dul Victoriei, nr. 1-3
Tel: +4 0269 208 978
The Sibiu German Consulate
Address: str. Lucian Blaga, nr. 15 - 17
Tel.: +4 0269 206 211
Fax: +4 0269 206 299
Office working hours:
Monday-Friday 9.00 a.m.-11.30 a.m.
Most banks are open from Monday to Friday between 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. and on Saturday from 9.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. For currency exchange, we advise you to go to a bank or to use the foreign exchange ATMs.
Most hotels, rent-a-car services, restaurants and some shops accept American Express, Dinner Club, JCB International, Euro Master Card and VISA. It is recommended to check in advance.
For calls from abroad to Sibiu please dial 004 (country prefix) then 0269 or 0369 (county prefixes) followed by the phone number.
- The 1st and 2nd of January;
- The second Easter Day;
- The 1st of May - International Labour Day;
- The Second Pentecost Day;
- The 15th of August - the Dormition;
- The 30th of November - St. Andrew;
- The 1st of December - The National Day of Romania;
- The 25th and 26th of December.
Useful phone numbers
Emergency: 112 (single line)
Local Police: +4 0269 208 800
Mountain rescue: +4 0728 826 668
Coordonate GPS: 45.78 N, 24.13 E