str. E.A.Bielz, nr. 62
+4 0269 228 865
Mobile phone no.:
+4 0727 792 803
In the Turnişor district from Sibiu there is a church, a former Romanesque basilica, which dates from the late 12th century. The main characteristic of this church is its massive tower situated inside the 3 m thick church walls. The tower we see today has only half the width of the initial tower. Inside, the church is decorated with baroque furniture and the altar dates from the year of 1759.
In mid-18th century the landlers arrived in Turnişor - a group of Protestants deported from around the House of Hapsburg because of their faith. Soon they founded a strong community in Turnişor which, due to their diligence and seriousness, became one of the richest in Sibiu. The landlers helped restore the church from Turnişor.
Even if the 1989 Revolution brought on the depopulation of the district of Turnişor, the descendants of the landlers have stuck together and passed on their ancestors’ traditions. Nowadays, in its northern lateral nave this evangelical church hosts an exhibition dedicated to the landlers’ social, cultural and religious life.
To visit the church and the Landlers’ Museum, please contact the curator.