str. Constituţiei, nr. 19
+4 0269 216 904
Mobile phone no.:
+40 757 038 349
Jews from Central Europe arrived in Transylvania as early as the 16th century. They settled in the region of Sibiu in the mid-19th century. At the beginning they faced big hardships because they were not allowed to live in town. After 1850, they had the right to settle at the outskirts of the town and in 1898 they were even allowed to build a synagogue.
While at the end of the Second World War there were approximately 1900 Jews in Sibiu, in time their numbers dropped constantly and today the local Jewish Community only has approximately 50 members.
The synagogue hosts occasional religious services and it may only be visited on request.
Coordonate GPS: 45.79 N, 24.15 E