+4 0269 515 710
Mobile phone no.:
+4 0269 843 483
The name of the craftsmen and journeymen travellers who built the Evangelical Church from Sibiu travelled in all of Transylvania. It seems they also contributed to the building of the fortress from Aţel, mentioned in 1471.
The ensemble is an example of gothic medieval defence architecture with a solidly fortified belfry. Hans - the church sexton and one of the few Saxons remained in Aţel has been climbing to the tower for countless years. He is 70 years old and has numerous stories to tell about the church and his village. Hans would climb the spiralled stairs of the belfry three times a day to call the hour or some important event and when there were black clouds threatening the village, he would toll the bells to chase the dangerous rainfall.
Nowadays Hans does not have to toll the bells as often… there aren’t as many events as there used to be and many Saxons have left from Aţel in the recent decades. But he is always happy to welcome the tourists. From the tower he shows them the village, the escape tunnel used during invasions and the hills once covered with vineyards.
For further details, please go to: www.biserici-fortificate.com.
Coordonate GPS: 46.15 N, 24.46 E